Sunday, December 28, 2014

Denver Christkindl Market & Gingerbread syrup



Denver has a beautiful German Christmas market downtown called Christkindl. They sell food (like pastries from one of my favorite bakeries, Taste of Denmark), crafts, and they have a heated tent with music, German beer, and glüwein (mulled wine). I love going here every year - this year I don't work downtown anymore, but when I did I would go here for lunch :)




 Smoked Salmon


Lots of people in the beer tent

 Christmas lights

 Hot glüwein on a cold day

If you're in Denver during the holidays, go to 16th St. Mall and the Christkindl Market!

I also decided to make myself a gingerbread latte, to warm myself up :)

Holiday spices on fresh Colorado Christmas snow


First I made a Gingerbread-flavored syrup with a spice mixture based of the Gramercy Tavern Gingerbread recipe found on Epicurious here.

Just add to espresso & steamed milk, and enjoy hot on a cold day :)


Ginger, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, and a pinch of cardamom soaking in molasses

Gingerbread Latte

Ingredients:
Syrup:
  • 1 Tbs. ground ginger
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp. ground cloves
  • 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
  • 1/8 tsp. ground green cardamom
  • 1/4 c. molasses
  • 1/4 c. honey
  • 1 c. water
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
Latte:
  • 2 shots espresso
  • 2 c. steamed skim milk (or milk of your choice)
Instructions:

Combine all ingredients for syrup but vanilla in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil 2 minutes. Pour in a glass jar and let cool for 10 minutes. Add vanilla. Put 1 Tbs (or to taste) of syrup in espresso, and add steamed milk. Enjoy thoroughly and think of sugarplums.




Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment