Sunday, September 29, 2013

pickled Thai chilis

Last summer I bought some lovely heirloom peppers at a beautiful little farmer's market in Gunnison, CO. I was so sad at the prospect of losing the peppers that as soon as I got home I took out all their seeds and threw them in a pot with some soil. I raised my baby peppers for about 9 months before I was able to plant the ones that survived in my garden! Sadly, most didn't survive, but I got two extremely hardy Thai chili plants that grew to be about 4 feet tall. Happily, Thai chilis are among my favorites since they are the perfect level of spice for me.




AND... (duh duh duh DUH!) I have a new camera! A shiny, new, DSLR! Hooray! Now you can see my chilis in high definition :)


So, I took my lovely chilis and I pickled them in vinegar just as I'd seen in Thailand. Just a little salt, to taste, with white vinegar and sliced chilies. You leave them to pickle at room temperature for 2 or 3 days, and they are ready to spice anything. I put them in my corn chowder, it was love.






Summer is almost done, I'll be so sad to see my Thai chilis go. Hopefully I'll be able to pot it and keep it indoors! Sadly, no bees would be around to give me my lovely chilis though. I'll keep the seeds at least and maybe have them next year too ;) 




No comments:

Post a Comment