Monday, July 22, 2013

Here we go round the...

As far as I know (and my family may correct me on this one), I have never had a mulberry before. Never never.

They look like bitty blackberries, like it was probably picked wild since their color is so deep and they're so tiny.

I was so excited when I got my little baggie of mulberries! I rushed to open it and smear the first juicy, delicious berry all over my face.

But sadly, my little berries were a bit bland. It was a little like heartbreak.

But I cooked them up good anyways! I was dreaming of a berry pie or crumble or something berry-y, and that is what I made. Adding some sweetener and lime juice really enhanced the berries and gave them a rich and mellow flavor that was really unique and delicious.

I just read a blog by one of my favorites, Lady and Pups, and was inspired. I made my own mulberry version of her Peach Mascarpone Pot Pie, and I stuffed my face, it was wonderful. Despite my general lack of things in my household at the time (butter, flour, molasses), I made it work without involving precious time wasted on going to the store (time that was spent eating pie!) 




Ingredients:

Crust:
dry part:
  • 1 c. oat flour (I just ran oats through my food processor) and 2 Tbs. whole oats
  • 1/3 tsp each baking powder & cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/8 tsp each clove, nutmeg, and salt
wet part:
  • 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
  • 3 Tbs coconut oil
  • 1/4 c brown sugar
  • 3.5 Tbs date syrup
  • 1 beaten egg

Filling:
  • 2 c. mulberries, fresh or frozen
  • 2 Tbs water
  • 1/3 c. agave syrup
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • juice of 1/2 lime
  • 1 tsp cornstarch dissolved in 2 Tbs water
Instructions:

Throw all the filling ingredients except cornstarch and lime into a pot. Bring to a boil, until berries either become thawed or start to break down. Add cornstarch slurry and lime juice, and bring to a boil. Cook until it has the consistency of pie filling, then remove from heat and pour into ramekins.

Then, add all dry ingredients in one bowl and stir, and all wet ingredients in another and whisk. Add wet to dry, and stir until just combined. Pour over the mulberries.

Bake at 360 degrees F until a fork comes out clean (about 24 minutes here in beautiful Colorado). Eat with a big spoonful of fresh goat cheese on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment