Monday, April 29, 2013

El Super Pollón II

Today we cooked a mini pterodactyl!!

Kraawww!!

Just kidding.

We just really missed pollo a la brasa from our Peru days.
Pollo a la brasa is Peruvian style rotisserie chicken. It can be made with any combination of things, but we brined ours for about 20 hours in a mix of beer, chicken broth, cumin, annatto, garlic, salt & pepper, and soy sauce. We then hung the sucker up to dry for an hour, rubbed it down with salt, pepper, oil, and lime juice, and rotisserie'd it for an hour or two. And we made...this! :




Served with my favorite salad in the world, cooked beets & carrots with avocado on top of greens, covered in a vinegary homemade mayo


Thus, bliss ensued. There was much grunting and happy munching all around.

My boy made the chicken, so I'll leave you with this amazing salad dressing. It was given to us by our favorite restaurant, El Super Pollón II, located in sleepy Cutervo, Peru. The owner, a jolly Limeño, was our buddy. Which makes sense, considering how much money we poured into his joint. The man knew how to make the skin perfectly crispy and the flesh drippingly juicy. But I--being an infrequent chicken eater--may have eaten many chicken wings here; however, most nights I would (and still do) crave his amazing salads, served with thick cut french fries that I would drench in his homemade ají pepper sauce. I would pay for a plane ticket and suffer the 24 hour bus ride from Lima just to gorge myself at El Super Pollón again.

Mayonesa á la Super Pollón II

Ingredients:
-1 egg
-1 clove garlic
-1 tsp salt
-3/4 c. white vinegar
-1 tsp dried oregano
-about 1 to 1.5 cups veggie oil

Directions:
Put everything but the oil into a blender, and blend for a few seconds. Then, with the blender on low, drizzle the oil in tiiiny amounts at first through cap of the blender. You may increase this to a small stream after you've added about 1/4 cup. Keep pouring in oil (I don't even measure it, I just pour from the bottle), just until you hear the mix sound less like a liquid and thicken up. Yes, that sounds weird, but try it and you'll know. It should end up like a loose mayo. Pour liberally onto greens topped with beets, carrots, peas, and avocado and EAT.

I hope you love this as much as me, it's one of those foods that invokes a lot of happy memories.



And for your pleasure and enjoyment, I'll put up some pictures of Chris & my Saturday adventure in the Highlands of Denver!





¡Buen provecho!

No comments:

Post a Comment